Monday, April 25, 2005

Will Firefox win the browser war?

With all the hype surrounding Firefox in recent times, anyone would think that it was ready to conquer the mountain that is Internet Explorer in the next few months. Of course, that isn't the case, and to be honest I've poo-pooed the idea of Firefox taking any massive stranglehold in the browser market... Until last Thursday.

Last Thursday, as part of my job, I had to visit the home of one of the company I'm contracted out to's directors to fix a problem they had with dialling in to the work systems via Terminal Services. Now, this guy is clueless about computers, beyond the basics he's lost in a sea of technical jargon. But, I fire up this guys home PC, and what do I find as the default browser? Yep... Mozilla Firefox. On further questioning, I find that he'd read and heard from friends (Other relatively IT illiterate friends too) that it was a better, safer browser, and so he'd gone and installed it, was using it and (most importantly of all) enjoying the experience. If guys like this are getting the Firefox bug, then we really could be looking at a revolution in the browser wards. I was genuinely shocked by what I saw that day, but also very happy to see such things occuring.

In other news, me and Tara have been together for 43 months today!! I would use the term 'anniversary', but I know somebody reading this who wouldn't like it... :oP

1 comment:

Jollemi said...

Yea, our school has switched to Firefox and pretty much everybody else who I know uses Firefox too. Although a couple of rebels still use Opera, which I don't like one bit ;).

But the first beta of IE7 is going to be out in a month or two, and we've already heard about some of the improvements it's going to have. If that's actually going to be a big improvement over IE6, it might have the power to stop the "Firefox revolution".