Thursday, December 02, 2004

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

So, Valve had a Half-Life 2 Deathmatch mode under their sleeves all along then... It got released on Steam yesterday, and I have to say, it's.... Unique. What other DM gametype lets you pick things up and throw them and people? You have to give Valve some kudos for taking the physics engine that helps make Half-Life 2 itself so impressive, and successfully inject it into an online game mode.

Having said that, the enjoyment of the whole thing was somewhat short-lived for me - There's only so many times you can chuckle with glee as you crush someone in a corner with a car, or take them out with a well-placed radiator to the head. After a while, it starts to feel more like 'domestic argument simulator' (Hey, there's an idea for a mod!), with everybody eschewing traditional weapons in favour of simply throwing stuff at each other. It's immensely fun for half an hour or so, but then it starts to feel kind of childish. Maybe I'm just getting old...

Still, now it's out there and at the mercy of the mod community, there's stacks of potential in their, so I can imagine some really great things coming out of it. It's been a long time since I've really found a game I can get into playing regularly online (Battlefield 1942 was probably the last I gave up any real time to), but maybe something under the Half-Life 2 moniker will crop up and grab me.

Away from that, my Leadtek 6800GT and Ultra review (yes, them again!) for HEXUS is done, so I'll throw it into the back-end once I'm done with this. I can't wait until next week when I can start really sitting down and cranking out content, especially seeing as my last few days of my current job are going soooo slowly - There's only so much you can do when you know you're about to leave!

No comments: