Thursday, March 10, 2005

2MB broadband and hardware aplenty

It happened a day earlier than I was expecting, but I now have a 2MBit ADSL connection in my house, thanks to Nildram's new offerings. In July, all of their customers get regraded to 2MB (assuming their line can handle it) regardless, but for just shy of £13 they'll do the job right away. Of course, I couldn't resist, and put in my order at the tail-end of last week. I was given an activiation date of today, but last night found myself sitting pretty with a higher connection speed. I haven't really stretched its legs yet, but it certainly felt nice while I was downloading Catalyst 5.3... :o)

On the reviewing front, I finally polished off the article from one of our forum members last night, so that went live today. I have no excuse not to start on my next big review now, and I really need to get a move on with it, seeing as I've secured another couple of video cards for review, which'll be going head-to-head with one another. I'm intrigued as to how the two boards will shape up after having seen all the marketing, so I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into them. You guys will have to wait and see what I'm talking about, although some of you should be able to guess already. :oP

In an ideal world, I really want to review the ASUS SLI motherboard I picked up, but it really doesn't feel right to even attempt to review an nForce4 SLI board without testing its SLI capabilities. I also have to question myself as to what exactly should be tested benchmark-wise on a modern motherboard - When you take a look around most reviews and find a set of largely theoretical results that show little differentiation between different boards, you have to wonder what the point is, perhaps it's better to concentrate largely on feature set. So, I think that one can take a place on the back burner for now, but it's still something to think about for the future.

Away from the whole computer hardware and Elite Bastards thing, life and love are going just swimmingly still, although with nothing spectacular to report. It's actually been a quiet week all things considered.

1 comment:

Jollemi said...

yea, 2mbps is quite nice. It's more than sufficient for me (= I have 2mbps too). However, I would like to get more upload bandwidth than 512kbps. It just sucks, plain and simple :(